Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Al Sharpton To Form National Association For The Advancement Of “My People”



Washington—The Reverend Al Sharpton announced this afternoon, that National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was “too sterile, clinical, and impersonal."

To merely compartmentalize the target of George W. Bush's Caucasian hurricane as "colored people? That's just too much an arms-length rendering, " said Sharpton. "Those people Bush tried to kill are my people, and this organization will be comprised of a large consortium of my people. That is why today I christen a new organization under the title: the National Association for the Advancement of My People (NAAMP)”

Sharpton said he had "no intention" of attempting to ladle member from the NAACP, to prime the membership pumps for what will initially be a fledgling NAAMP.

"I don't need to do that, " he said. Those people in New Orleans are my people.

Critics say that New Orleans resident, Aaron Neville, has already laid claim to the New Orleans constituency as "his people," far before Sharpton called them "my people." Others note equally-possessive language from the likes of Kanye West, Randall Robinson, Jesse Jackson, and even Bill Clinton, who referred to them as 'his people' under what is being called the "Toni Morrison precedent."

"Whatever happens, you can bet that these people will be at the center of a definitive court battle for years, before it becomes ultimately decided who's people they get to be," said one legal analyst. "My money's on Jackson, personally, but you never know if that trick Bill's gonna really turn on his latent blackenss at the last minute, and have the majority of New Orleans become his people."




Who Links Here