Friday, September 02, 2005

Byrd Cites "Mixed Emotions," Recuses Self From Katrina Funding

Complains of acid reflux resurgence


Byrd: believes black people have their place,
but that "place isn't New Orleans."

Washington--Democratic Senator Robert Byrd (W-VA), recused himself today from voting on the 10.5 billion-aid bill to help rebuild the southern coast--primarily--the predominantly black city of New Orleans.

"I am at a loss, " said Byrd, known also as the "conscience of the Senate." To see those plantation houses obliterated against the backdrop of the Strangefruit trees--it tears my heart out."

Byrd, a former member of the KKK, said he could not "with a clear conscience and sound mind," actively fund a bill that could expedite the domiciled resettlement of African Americans.

"It just aint right," he said. "If I aint gonna fight along side 'em, I aint gonna live next to them."

Byrd noted that the upset has caused him "severe esophagal trauma," in the form of Acid Reflux Disease.

"I'm just sick about this," he said. "I mean, look at all the bedding being trucked in by FEMA. What a waste of perfectly good sheets."




Who Links Here